Road Bike Time Trial
- This event has passed.
CLASSIC COURSE – CLASSIC SETTING
Break out the spandex. It’s time for both recreational and hardcore road cyclists to tackle this quintessential uphill ride.
Competitors of all ages and abilities will be able to race on the original Time Trial course ridden by legendary riders such as Greg LeMond and Bernard Hinault back in the late 1980’s. Andy Hampsten’s long standing course record of 26:33.43 set during the 1987 Coors Classic was broken at the 2008 Mountain Games by Benjamin Day (25:48) and Chris Baldwin (26:29). Will the new course record stand the test of time?
Sunday, June 11
Open – 9:30am
Masters 35+, Masters 45+ – 9:30am
Beginners – 9:30am
Juniors – 9:30am
HOW TO ENTER:
The amount of athletes able to compete in the Time Trial is capped at 200. This race will sell out so register early. Athletes may also register on-site at the registration area. Organizers will not be responsible for incomplete, lost, or misdirected registrations or for registrations not received for any reason, including, without limitation, failure or malfunction of any communications network or equipment or computer software or hardware.
Men & Women Open
Men & Women Masters 35+, Masters 45+,
Men Masters 55+
Men & Women Beginner, Juniors (17 & under)
1) Athletes must enter the race start area from Vail Valley Drive (east end of the Vail Village parking structure). Do not attempt to enter the start area through the Covered Bridge of East Meadow Drive. This area will be extremely busy with sponsor booths and guest to the event.
2) Racers will be sent out in (30) second intervals (Open Categories may be slotted in (1) minute intervals). Start times will be determined according to category, how many people are in your category and the date when registered.
3) Please note: Registration will close at 6pm the night before.
4) Final start times will be posted at the start area entrance and registration by approximately 9:30am, on Race Day. Athletes are responsible to know their own start time and check-in to the start area at least 15 minutes prior to their start time. Athletes missing their start times will not be given a re-start time and registration fees will not be returned. Athletes who miss their assigned start time may still compete but the clock will have started at the assigned time and a rider will be timed based on that start time (ex: Riders start time is 11:00am and they show up at 11:05am. They will be allowed to start but their time when they cross the finish line will be based on the 11:00am assigned start).
5) The course is open to traffic so be aware of vehicles at all times for safety.
6) There will be absolutely no drafting behind any riders which are being overtaken or have been passed, riders MUST swing out of any slipstream from a rider they are overtaking at least ten yards previous to a pass. Any observed violation will result in disqualification.
7) All racers are REQUIRED to ride within the cones which will form a “racing lane” while turning right off the north frontage road, riding under the I-70 overpass, then making the left hand turn onto Bighorn Road which takes you through East Vail. You will have to slow down to negotiate this portion of the course. Stay alert as this is a busy intersection. Law enforcement officials will be here to control traffic.
8) Riders who have completed the course and are returning to Vail MUST remain as far right as reasonably possible and will not exceed 25 miles an hour. This is purely a safety precaution as a blow out at high descending speeds could result in loss of control of a bike and a potential collision, please descend safely.
9) No tripping, shoving or horseplay will be tolerated and any athlete participating in foul play will be pulled from the course and disqualified.
DIRECTIONS TO START LINE:
Park in the Vail Village parking structure. Upon exiting the structure go to the center of the structure / Covered Bridge. Start line is directly outside the center entrance to the parking structure.
The competition is open to all interested athletes regardless of state and/or country of residency. Competitors who are under the age of 18 must register with a parent or legal guardian. Competitors must be able to attend all scheduled events. Athletes will be required to provide all their own equipment. Further, athletes must abide by all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations during their participation in the Mountain Games®.
Athletes agree to be bound by these Official Rules and all decisions of Organizers. Organizers reserve the right to disqualify any persons found tampering with, or otherwise abusing, any aspect of the competition as solely determined by Organizers.
Organizers will appoint judges and the decision of those judges will be final. There will be no review of scoring / timing even with the presence of TV cameras. Disputes with Organizers and/or appointed judges will result in disqualification of that athlete.
RESERVATION OF RIGHTS:
Organizers reserve the right to disqualify any athlete for any reason, including, without limitation, acting in an unsafe, unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner and/or with intent to intimidate, threaten or harass, or harm another person. All decisions with respect to the disqualification of an athlete shall be made by Organizers and/or appointed judges. Failure to comply with any term or condition of these Official Rules may result in an athlete’s disqualification and the forfeiture of his/her interest in any prize. Organizers reserve the right to amend these Official Rules at any time in its sole discretion, and athletes shall have no recourse for any such changes or for any failure (whether inadvertent or otherwise) by Organizers to follow the stated rules. In the event that the competition is canceled prior to the completion of the final event, no prizes will be awarded. If the Tournament is cancelled prior to June 1st, for any reason, athletes will be reimbursed only for his/her entry fee. Athletes will not be otherwise compensated for any costs or expenses associated with their participation in the competition.
The Mountain Games® will be organized and produced by staff and contractors hired from and by the Vail Valley Foundation. The decisions of Organizers regarding the selection and elimination of athletes, the selection of finalists and winners, and the production and administration of Mountain Games® related events, and all other aspects of the event, shall be final and binding in all respects. Organizers will not be responsible for typographical, printing or other inadvertent errors in these Official Rules or in other materials relating to the event.
Early Bird (2/15-3/14)
TOTAL PURSE: $7,000
1st – $2,000
2nd – $1,000
3rd – $500
1st – $2,000
2nd – $1,000
3rd – $500
Gear Town (Covered Bridge)